Wednesday, January 03, 2007

S at two

Cubby at Ignore the Crazy is making his mama cry. He's 2. Oh, so 2.

I had a two year old like that, about five years ago, and a baby the same age as Bek's is right now. Two year old S made me cry every day, too. And worse. I yelled, I screamed. I am not proud of it, but I spanked. Eventually we went to therapy. It helped. He got older, and that helped. He got an ADHD diagnosis and some medication. That helped the most.

He looked like this.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The rule about the piano was supposed to be only with fingers. Not that I consider a nice, sedate line of cars a major infraction. For major infractions, like the clock shattered with the baseball bat or the Sharpie all over the computer monitor, I was generally too freaked out to take pictures.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
We were enjoying Dr. Seuss's ABC at this time. Hence the Goo Goo Goggles.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Some crazy mother thought fingerpaint would be a fun activity. At least I made him do it while restrained in the high chair.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Such a good influence on his younger brother.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Really, he tried to be a good brother. But the baby was so gosh darn BORING! Hitting was a lot more common than puppet shows, unfortunately.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
That is a swim diaper. Call it variations on a theme.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This little guy was G's favorite ornament from childhood. S promptly christened him Christmas Lightyear and broke him within moments. Those crash landings can be rough.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Can't let baby brothers have all the fun. So what if the furniture might get broken?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Okay, irresistable. How could I have yelled at this kid? It is getting hard to remember.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Crazy mother still tries to do craft projects with the children. I believe this one had to do with Fun Foam stamps and white paint on red and green paper. Not that too much paint actually made it onto the paper.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Who's in charge of this detachment?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It's hard work being two.

5 comments:

Bek said...

Ok, I feel a bit better. As for the ADHD stuff, I don't really think that we have an actual issue w/ JJ besides that he is two. He seems to be curious and generally repentant when he does stuff. In fact, he get the "oh crap" look on his face faster and faster these days when I catch him. I don't even know what to look for with ADHD... any suggestions?

Also, I have yelled and don't like to spank, but I have. I feel that I am not effective w/ the discipline... I don't want to loose my control or to discipline out of anger. I would love to hear more about the counciling. You can e mail me if you want...but the thought has crossed my mind the last few days. I feel like all the relationships in our home are beaking down and his behavior is kind of ruline the roost right now. I am at a loss as to how to turn it back around (frankly, I am too tired and unmotivated to do it right now.....).

WatchMeLoseWeight said...

Oh Ana, I feel like you and are sailing in the same ADHD boat! My Michael (7) is so much like S. Last night, after the (SERIOUSLY) 30th time out of bed I just lost it with the poor boy. I yelled, I cried... I BEGGED him to tell me what I needed to do so he could go to bed. His response? "I don't know"... "NOOOOO! I need to know what to do because we can't live like this anymore!" Then, with his sweet 7yr old eyes (starting to fill with tears because he could see that he was really upsetting me) he said, "I think if you sang me a lullaby and rubbed my back for one minute I could go to bed."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Don't get me wrong, we have a bedtime routine which he has helped to create, so it's not like the boy is neglected lol. Sooo, I stood up... hugged him and apologized for yelling and sang him his lullaby of choice (Child of God) and rubbed his back for one minute and told him that bedtimes can not keep being like this. I am almost looking forward to tonight to see if this was just a fluke (because last night, once I did this he literally fell asleep within five minutes) or if this will actually work.

I can't tell you how craptacular I felt as a mother last night lol!

{krista} said...

Okay, Ana... is that REALLY Abe on the changing table with S? OH my gosh, those CHEEKS!!! LOL

You are a fabulous mom, with two very special and adorable little boys... and a beautiful little girl... Love ya!!! ~kris

Unknown said...

I loved this post Ana.
Man oh man have you and I walked the path with these boys or what!!
Geez.

SalGal said...

I just lurve that look on his face! The spit-eating grin... how can anyone resist? :-)