Monday, March 20, 2006

Nature in the bathroom

This is not about what you think it's about.

My kids are in the tub. They just called me in, all panicked. There was a little spider on the wall in the corner by the tub. Fearless and pragmatic woman that I am, I picked it up with a wad of toilet paper and flushed it without a second thought.

SAM: Mom, why does it always recall death whenever you see a spider?

MOM: What? (This child likes to experiment with vocabulary and sentence structure, and sometimes I have to do a double take to decipher him.)

SAM: You're destroying nature, you know.

ABE: Yeah, you're killing one of God's creatures.

SAM: That's like you're really killing someone.

MOM: No, it's a bug. Does it pay rent? No. It does not belong here.

Aren't I doing a good job rearing compassionate, earth-friendly children?

2 comments:

SalGal said...

Oh my gosh, that is too funny! I would've been screaming my head off for Brian to come kill it. You are a much braver woman than I!

Lisa M. said...

*Laughing*

We have had such simular conversations. That was fairly close to my response.

They could hurt you. I think I said, and they don't contribute to the family. Thus, we have to remove them.

Something along those lines.

You did great.

*chuckling*