Thursday, March 30, 2006

Magazine review and brownie recipe

So many moons ago, Sally Lou gave me a subscription to Organic Style. I lurved it even though I am not really all that organic. I am kind of dabbler-organic. Anyway. Organic Style ceased publication. But not before they had a big article on Moby's earth-friendly home which was really cool. Sally and I were sad.

The publisher promised to send us another magazine instead. And it took a while, a long while, but they finally did. Actually they sent me two. Sally, I hope you got two, as well.

The first one is Organic Gardening. Which, okay, that's good. I have peas and lettuce growing right now. Good springtime veggies.

The second one is the one I'm enthused about, and brace yourselves, it's a food magazine. Everyday Food. And it's made by Martha Stewart Omnimedia, otherwise known as the Spawn of Satan. I had a conversion away from MS Living about 7 years ago. Thank goodness, because those irresponsible, unrealistic, destructive visions of perfection would have made the rude awakenings of motherhood even more miserable for me.

Confessing: I still get Better Homes Than Yours. But it's a cheap destructive vision, at least.

But Everyday Food is ... a really good magazine. Simple recipes with easy-to-find ingredients, great styling, nice photography and layout, and cute petite size. Go getcherself one.

Speaking of my dabbler-organicness:

Yesterday when I was playing hooky ... I mean, staying home with a sick child -- I made up a new brownie recipe. It's kind of a cross between brownies and granola bars. I can't decide whether to call them Mama's Sneaky Snacks, or Crunchy Conservatives. I'm not really a crunchy conservative, more like a crunchy moderate/liberal. But that name is just so funny. Anyway the brownies are good, I promise! The kids and husband ate them all gone last night!

Baby X Brownies (because I can't decide on a name)

1 c butter
2/3 c white sugar
2/3 c brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c white flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour (this is where we start getting crunchy, folks)
1/2 c soy flour
1/2 c flax meal
2 c rolled oats
2 tbsp sesame seeds (crunchy portion over)
1/4 c dry cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 bag semisweet chocolate chips (about 6 oz)

Heat oven to 375.

Cream butter and sugars. Add egg and vanilla. Add all dry ingredients except chocolate chips and blend well. Stir in chocolate chips.

Spread dough evenly in an ungreased 9x13" baking pan. If you have trouble with this (I did) place a sheet of wax paper over the dough and press it lightly into the pan.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool before cutting.

2 comments:

SalGal said...

Those rat bashturds gave me some other crappy lifestyle magazine!! I'd MUCH rather get Organic Gardening. I check it out from the library frequently. I still mourn the loss of Organic Style, especially since my subscription was to go until late '07.

And Everyday Food is/was your Christmas present! I guess I forgot to tell ya...

Unknown said...

You are sweet! I love it!