Friday, March 24, 2006

Chasm, or crazy B strikes again

Book club was last night. We read another DB book that had a mix of good ideas and nonsense. And we had more intense, insightful conversation.

Here's the nugget that struck me (and once again it occurred entirely outside our discussion of the book). Sometimes we just have to take a tiny step, and then the doors fling open and we see. Sometimes we just have to fall to our knees, or turn on the Conference broadcast, or make that one hard decision, and then the blessings come raining down. Sometimes we have to jump headlong into the chasm.

Oh, and I read Bek's blog yesterday. She's thinking about Africa, too. Inspiring, yep. It helps that she has an amazingly cute boy that reminds me how very munchy I have become. (CHEEKS! YUMMY!)

So here's what I'm looking at today, although it's a tiny bit embarrassing when I am here in the office and the tears begin to well up. Sometime I will have to tell you the whole story of my mysterious West Africa inklings that have been going on for almost 7 years now.

Going through the fee list, I'm estimating $14,880. Crazy idea. Wonderful. Anybody got good fundraiser ideas for after I finish my first ancillary crazy idea (making children's fairy princess dress-ups) for the campus arts and crafts festival next month?

Oh, and I'm still waiting for a report on G's interview this morning. It started 2 hours ago but I don't want to call him in case he is still in the interview.

Nothing like standing on the brink of a big, fat chasm!

7 comments:

SalGal said...

I've got 12,230 plus the home study. I of course have no idea, but I assume you guys make around the same amount that we do and I picked the middle price when there was a range price for something on their list. See? I already saved you $2200! Now I have another idea. I would be willing to make those quilts I was talking about and sell them to help you guys raise money, but I want part ownership of the kid.

Kidding.

But if it's a girl, I totally get to spoil her, ok? It would be easy to think about my purpose in making those quilts vs. making them just to make extra money. And G only gets to be part Mexican if his El Camino is a lowrider painted electric green with flames and one of those hydraulic lift thingys that make it bounce.

Unknown said...

I think we probably make a tiny bit more -- 1.5 incomes vs. 1 income, ya know? And a home study I think will be between $350 and $500.

Do you want to put any quilts in my booth at the arts/crafts thingy on April 22? No pressure, just if you want to.

Thanks for your continual and much needed support, dear! Love you!

Bek said...

Acres of Hope eh? We are going with Ethiopia. Did you know that these are the only two countries in Africa that allow intercountry adoption (besides Kenya, but you must live in Kenya w/ the child for three months). You just kicked my bum into writing the second part of that post. It is about adoption in Africa....I have a lot to say...

I know many people that have/are adopting via Acres of Hope. We should pow wow if you want some names. On one of the boards that deals with adoption (http://teatimeforum.com) has some good info on Liberia. One of the members there is friends with the Acres of Hope people. BTW, that board is known to me because the woman that started it is one of the women that my son's birthmom scammed. Nice connection, huh? :-)

I also encourage you to look at Ethiopia..also very easy (best foster care system in the world, caregiver ratio of 2:1, travel encouraged, children reasonably healthy.....:-) Not too expensive...there is a really good Yahoo group site that has tons of information and pictures if you want to see it. Just e mail me. How exciting to not be the only Africa mamma!

I am doing a cookbook earn money and doing photos......it will take awhile......You do quilts? You have a booth? :-)

Can't wait to hear the progress. Part two is coming...glad to know that others feel the same way I do.

Bek said...

FYI---this website is a listing of adoption grants...it is worth a try.

I am currently writing grants for Africa stuff. It isn't hard, just a pain, but could be worth it....
http://www.2girlsandawebsite.com/iAdopt/grantsloans.html

Unknown said...

Bek, post coming soon on my crazy booth idea. Sal does quilts. I do ... tutus. And wands and crowns. Actually just tutus so far; I finished the prototype tonight.

I have looked into Ethiopia also. I've been looking into this for years and years and years, and Haiti, too. I think -- think! -- I am settling into a path. I still have to see if my husband is really on board. He's not a fast decision maker.


I am nuts for all this, methinks.

Bek said...

Nahhh, although Liberian adoptions are going to slow down a bit....the new president just got permission for the OLD president, Charles Taylor (aka warlord) to be removed from Nigeria to stand trial in Sri Lanka for war crimes in Liberia. Many of his still loyal child soldiers took to the streets and....civil rest ensues. This always slows the courts down..but they will work it out eventually.

Don't you find it ironic that Liberia was founded by former slaves and now many of those descendents are coming back via adoption? Strange to think of. I also have thought of Haiti......We are the same person..

Can't wait to hear about the booth....

Unknown said...

ACK, I just inquired about a homestudy on the Africa Adoption Yahoo! group and got a figure of $2500 from one adoptive mom!

**frantically sewing more tutus now**