Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Time, will, food, fat

I just got back from my first of three trips to the gym this week. I actually like the gym okay. I go to a pretty down-to-earth gym where people are there to work out, not so much to show off. They run TBS with subtitles so I can watch/read silly movies while I exercise even if I cannot find my headphones (this is currently the case). I like machines because I have this slightly OCD thing about the numbers on the readout. Watching the calories, watching the time, watching the heart rate, watching the speed and the total revolutions. I do this the same way I used to count the steps up to my bedroom every single time I stormed up there and slammed the door as a teenager.

But I cannot say I love to exercise. I find it a little boring. My OCD thing is not enough to get me through a 45 minute workout and neither is reading the subtitles of The Waterboy. What I really need is a book; that really makes the time fly. I cannot keep myself in books. It's that binge reading thing.

I still go to the gym though, because I feel guilty if I don't and because at least nominally I am trying to lose weight. Yeah, just try to forget that thing with the peanut M&Ms from yesterday, okay? I do all right at getting my workouts in but I stink at controlling my eating. I'll just admit that right now. Maybe you would too if you rocked the kitchen like I do! HA!

Anyway, um. Where did that little burst of ego come from? I think it's designed to get me through this next part.

Next to me on the elliptical trainer tonight was an older woman, maybe in her early 50s. Not old, just older than I am, OK? I had to look twice. I've seen her before. Since April she has quit smoking and lost 60 pounds. I kid you not. I talked to her. Which is a little odd since I am not all that big on talking to strangers normally. But she was really nice.

60 pounds is about what I would like to lose. Is it possible I could have accomplished that since April? What a slacker! I didn't even have to quit smoking!

She spends 90 minutes at the gym, every day. I spend 60 minutes 3 times a week. There's a big key right there. I don't know if I could spend 90 minutes every day. I just reamed my husband last night for spending 2 hours at the gym and not doing the dishes, his regular job. (He does love to exercise, lucky dog. How do you get that way?) Really, though, if I spent that kind of time at the gym, wouldn't it take away a lot from my family? Or at least from blogging? Or making delicious creamy desserts?

Blah, I have to think about this.

No comments: