Thursday, September 22, 2005

Food for comfort: Rice Pudding

I am a totally emotional eater. For various reasons, some of them admittedly hormonal, this is the perfect recipe for this week:

Lion House Rice Pudding

1 5 1/3 oz can evaporated milk
2 c whole milk
1/2 c sugar
1 tbsp corn starch
1/4 tsp salt

2 c cooked white rice
1/2 c raisins (don't be stingy, I always use more)

2 eggs, beaten

1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract

Scald milks together in a medium to large saucepan.

Combine sugar, salt and cornstarch in medium mixing bowl. Add to milk mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and smooth. Add rice and raisins and bring to boil.

Add about half the pudding mixture to the eggs, stirring while you pour. This is important so that your eggs don't curdle. Return egg mixture to saucepan and stir over medium heat until thickened.

Remove from heat. Add vanilla and spices. Serve warm or cold. Chill to keep several days.

Makes an excellent breakfast. Hey, it's less sugar than a doughnut, and that's what some people eat. I want to make it with dried apricots and lemon zest. Wouldn't that be good? Maybe next week. I also have a recipe somewhere for chocolate rice pudding.

So many desserts, so little PMS to use as an excuse ...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote that if you make it with brown rice it qualifies as a whole-grain and healthy breakfast.

I never can get my eggs to not curdle.

Lisa M. said...

Thanks for the recipe. I am a comfort food person too~!

and i LOVE the lion house cookbooks

jamie said...

guess what I am going to make today? I LOVE rice pudding! yummm

I love it for breakfast!

you have the best recipes and ideas!

Unknown said...

Thanks guys!

Sal, the key on not curdling the eggs is to pour gradually and stir rapidly. And hold your mouth right and pray ... it doesn't always work for me, either, but this week I lucked out.

Jamie, I hope you get to curl up in a blanket and eat rice pudding all day after Kris's garage door incident!