Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Deep question from S

"Can we turn bad after we're resurrected?"

This after reading in Alma 5 last night about the day of judgment and "can ye stand before God" and all that good stuff.

I thought it was really interesting to consider the factors that influence our choices, and whether they'll be in play after the resurrection.

Free agency? Check. A gift that I don't think the Father would ever remove. So theoretically it might be possible to make a bad choice even in more advanced stages of our development.

Knowledge of right and wrong? Faith in God's plan? Check, in infinitely improved form. Our eyes will see and our ears will hear. Every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess. (Can I get any more body parts in here? Speaking of which ...)

Weakness of the flesh? No more. Eradicated by the renewal and perfecting of our bodies.

Temptation from Satan? Gone-dee. Satan will be bound, but not by chains -- by the righteousness of God's children. See above.

So while it might still be possible to err in judgment after the resurrection, I don't think we can turn bad.

Still, it makes you think. We might just go on needing the atonement for eternity. Maybe that's part of what infinite sacrifice means. And that is pretty deep, if you ask me.

1 comment:

Kristine said...

Kids amaze me with their depth and perception. I love the way you analyzed this.