What is close to your home that you have always wanted to do but have never done?
I lived in Utah for ten years. Ten years, and I never went to Zion National Park or the Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City. That is just so sad! They were only a few hours away!
Close to me where I live now, I am happy to say that we go up to our nearby national park a few times a year, and we've now been to the gold country. I've been to the beach and to San Francisco, although let's be honest, we could all use more time in San Francisco for shopping, restaurants and shows. I've been to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I take advantage of local farms and businesses.
Considering that a year from now I may or may not live in this marvelous part of the country, I need to do the following:
1. More beaches, especially renting a house for a beach vacation (my plans for that this summer were trumped by the need to travel for multiple weddings). I really want to go to the Cambria area.
2. Cannery Row stuff in Monterey
3. The redwoods and other way NorCal stuff
4. Exploring the Coast Range
5. Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park
6. Wine country - not for the wine, for the food, duh!
What else am I missing? I don't want to leave California with Zion-size regrets!