Monday, December 11, 2006

What are you singing this Christmas?


I often remember Christmases by what I sang that year. For example, there was the year I sang "Cool Yule" and "A La Nanita Nana" at the ward party ... a capella, because I was too lazy to call someone to accompany me. And there was the year I sang "O Holy Night" at the ward party ... a capella, beacuse I was too lazy to call someone to accompany me.

That wasn't a typo, just an emerging pattern. Fortunately I can hold my own a capella. That's an important skill for a lazy singer with a phone phobia.

There was also the first year in Merced when it was so rainy and I sang "White Christmas" to myself over and over and over, then got a chance to do it (and other songs, too) at a company party for a member of our ward. They paid me a sorely needed $50. That was three years ago.

Two years ago I was fascinated with "I Wonder As I Wander." I sang it at the community's World AIDS Day vigil.

Last year I finally forced myself to learn "Gesu Bambino," something I've wanted to sing for a long time.

This year:

"Some Children See Him" for the Relief Society Party last Wednesday and again for sacrament meeting this coming Sunday ... perfect for me this year with the increasingly rainbowish family

"What Child is This" (Sally DeFord's lovely arrangment) for the ward party last Friday

That insanely high Mack Wilberg arrangement of "Joy to the World" with the ward choir this Sunday ... it is gorgeous but makes me dizzy!

"Still the Holiest Night," also with the ward choir this Sunday

The ward choir is doing a lot more but I am going to be in Tucson on Christmas Eve, so I have not attended choir practice much. Maybe that's why I'm feeling the void of Christmas music this season and blogging about it, probably to excess.

Christmas is music, yes it is!

Next year I want to learn "In the Bleak Mid-Winter." Anybody know a nice arrangement for a soprano soloist?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The new Sarah MacLachlan CD has a pretty version of "In the Bleak Mid-Winter," and she's a soprano, but I don't know if/how you could get the sheet music for that.

Lisa M. said...

I hate Sarah's new song.. "Bring my baby home"

Anyway.. that isn't what I meant to talk about. Just random chit from this chit.

Oh Holy Night is my most favorite christmas hymn. I think it is just beautiful. I love Pavorotti's version of it, and brings me to tears, it does.

The Lake Bonneville Symphany had a Messiha sing along this year, at the Tabernacle in Brigham City. It was beautiful. Loved it.

My next favorite song, is "I Heard the Bells" It gets overlooked, but it really is one of my most favorites.

I'd love to hear you sing.

And ... with out music, even! *Smile*

Unknown said...

I haven't heard that song, Lisa! But Lee, I am loving the Sarah Christmas cd ... that is exactly WHY I want to sing "In the Bleak Mid-Winter!"

Thanks for reading, you ladies are wonderful!

Anonymous said...

HA! Funny you should say that... I don't know a solo arrangement, but our ward choir sang In the Bleak... last year, and sang the first verse solo. Then this year, our wonderful ward choir director's husband asked Mary, Dad, and me to sing the same arrangement with him for the stake choir concert. He was the tenor soloist on the third verse. I LOVE that song. Good luck finding an arrangement, I'd love to hear you sing it. Oh, and look up Christina Rossetti (I can't spell it, but you get the idea...) She wrote the words. Her life is tragic but beautiful... love you!
~marta