Saturday, December 09, 2006

Is it too much to ask

That people with gory evil reproduction stories just keep them to themselves?

Honestly, I understand that people with bio kids sometimes have a hard time getting them, too. But they don't have to tell me exactly how long it took them to conceive (almost infallibly shorter than the 5 years we spent on that train), what they did that worked (TMI, people, TMI), how their doctor told them they should never have that sixth (!!) child, their near-miscarriages, actual miscarriages, high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, hospital stays, two weeks of pushing, whatever.

You don't have to justify your fertility to me. I am happy that you have children born into your family. However, I'm a little less happy, generally speaking, when you insist on dwelling on the parts of our experience that are different rather than the parts that are the same and reminding me that there is a subsection of the Woman Club that I will never be able to join.

-end rant-

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Awesome post!! Inevitable this happens to me as well. No matter how it works out, my silence always sets me apart. I have no story to tell. I even had one lady at a playgroup (never went back) say... "what's your story? Why aren't you talking?" And I just said, "I don't have one to tell." Packed up my Bug and left. I am so sorry you endured this Ana.

Bless you Ana and your sweet Miracles all!!!!

Cynthia said...

I was adopted as an infant, so adoptive mothers hold special respect in my heart. I feel grateful that I was blessed with bearing my own child, but motherhood and mother love are far more important than the physicality of pregnancy.

MaryRuth said...

Awesome post!! Thanks for sharing... I have lots of things to say and typed out this whole long post but in the end it just made me sound bitter so I deleted it...

I don't understand the trials or the path that we've been given... especially when it comes to Motherhood.. I really really don't ... I hope that I get a chance to talk to somebody with more insight when I leave this life.

You're amazing and I'm glad we've hooked back up.

MR