Sunday, December 03, 2006

Q&A on foster adopt

Today we took baby Z to church. I was not sure if it was doing the right thing. She is only 4 days old and it is cold, flu and RSV season. But we had responsibilities and for heaven's sake, she's 9 pounds. Not exactly fragile.

Plus I figured since I got a plastic Christmas tree I might as well go ahead and betray all my principles and get myself a baby bucket. So she just spent the whole time in the baby bucket. And I spend the whole time answering people's questions. I thought you, loyal readers (ha) might like the same information.

Any baby who is born testing positive for drugs or alcohol is immediately detained by the county child welfare agency and placed in foster care upon discharge from the hospital. And thank you, blog readers, for not asking THAT question which is the ONE I am most sick of. There is no good way to answer it without either violating Z's privacy or lying. I have taken to saying, "They don't take these babies away for no reason," an answer with which I am still unsatisfied. I can't stand the labels that come from that -- drug baby, crack baby, meth baby.

Within three working days there must be a court hearing to determine whether the county will bypass services for the birthmom. Well, really just the mom since she is still legally the mother. If they bypass services that pretty much means the mom has lost her chance. This happens most frequently when the birthmom has already lost custody of another child or children or has had other babies born "pos tox." Z's mom has lost four older children, to their father (not the same father as Z's). It is horrible, actually. Meth is Satan, I think.

If they offer services to the mom then she will usually have between 3 and 6 months to clean up her act. Technically. Which, sadly enough, is pretty hard to do if you are already so addicted that you are doing meth within days before giving birth. I am fully aware that there is a sick mother here who is losing children because of a behavior that has become an illness she cannot control. I don't know if I believe she deserves to lose them. But I certainly do not believe Z deserves a meth mommy, and I am skeptical about her ability to get clean now if she couldn't do it when she was pregnant.

Where it gets complicated is if there is an extended family member or a father who comes forward and wants to take the child. So far they do not know of anybody but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. The putative father is incarcerated so at least we know he's not taking custody of any babies anytime soon.

Next most common question: "What nationality is she?" Uh, American. But if you were asking about ethnicity, Z is half white, half Hispanic, we think. It is a little funny, because we have always said we are just sticking with white and black, we aren't trying to become a rainbow family, but you know, never say never I guess.

Another question: what am I doing about work? I have a maternity leave plan in place. Currently I am off until after Tuesday's court hearing. At that point I will arrange childcare if the court decides to work toward reunification with the mom, or take 6 weeks off if it looks like it is moving toward adoption.

But, we have to remember, we may not have answers for a long time. Our friends Steve and Susie started this process about three years ago, and they just finally finalized their adoption of their little boy before they moved to Utah last spring. There was a lot of heartbreaking back and forth during that time with an aunt who was trying to gain custody. But there was a happy ending in a sealing room of the Fresno temple, and we got to be there. I'm keeping that day in my mind.

In spite of the daylong Q&A, I am glad we took Z to church. We now have an entire ward in love with her and praying for the outcome we want in Tuesday's court hearing where they will decide whether to bypass services for Z's mom. If any of my blog friends would like to join us with prayers and positive thoughts, I would appreciate it a lot.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

of course we will pray for you and baby Z.

Julie said...

Prayers for you and prayers for Z!

What an interesting process, isn't it? Sad that it needs to exist, but wonderful that it does for those innocent children.

I *hate* the nationality question for Josh. And "where is he from?" when they're expecting the answer to be some African country. Good heavens.

Syd said...

Your family is in my prayers. She sounds beautiful. Snuggle her tight!! Reading your post made me think again of the lovely saying people share with adoptive parents 'you're doing it the easy way'. Sigh. Good luck to your family Ana.

SalGal said...

Fudge! I will make fudge to celebrate! Everything is better with chocolate, right? And (crossing everything I own) should it go the other way tomorrow... chocolate makes the bad times better, too.

Bek said...

Bah...

BLogger hasn't let me comment all day... you are in our prayers and we hope the little queen gets to stay with you...

let us know asap what happened

Melessa Gregg said...

Consider it done. One of my co-workers was adopted from Korea as a baby. It goes without saying that she doesn't remember a thing about it. One of our younger co-workers asked her for (what felt like) the millionth time what nationality she was. I said "American" a little more loudly and harshly than I intended. But really...

Anonymous said...

Definitely praying that little Z gets to stay for a long long long long time! (Eternity!) I hope tomorrow is a great day for the Shaw family!

Bek said...

I am on pins and needles...I wish I knew when the hearing is....

Domestic Goddess said...

Is baby Z ok, or is she having withdrawal symptoms? do they worry about any long term problems from her mother's drug use?

It is so sad that sweet innocent babies have to come into this world that way.

Tell people "she just needed a loving home".

Anonymous said...

I can't answer for baby Z and I am not sure if Ana WANTS to go into that much detail....but the drug/alchol questions is a hard one.

Some kids are ok, some are not. It is hard to know what to attribute to the exposure in the womb. My NON addicted child has had health issues and so have many many other kids. My child born addicted has had almost no sickness, no cavities and have walked, talked and learned to sign faster than any of my other ones. He is smart!!

It is easy to chalk it all up to "drugs in the womb". Alcohol is by far the WORST thing to be exposed to in utero..yet many people who would never do drugs will drink while pregnant. There are studies coming out now (a 10 year one just finished and a 15 year one still in the works..) that show that addiction to cocaine and crack might not be the automatic "problem" that people used to think it was. I had more than one pediatrician say she would adopte a meth baby before a FAS baby anyday in terms of rolling the dice...

The other tricky thing about those studies is that you have to factor in other things... people who take drugs and are raising their kids are not doing OTHER things that children need to grow up healthy. They are often not getting proper nutrition, not getting interaction and have a transient lifestyle. All of these things can contribue to not doing well in school and having other issues. They are indirect products of drug use, not becasue of exposure in the womb. Right? Children that have been born exposed and are placed in other homes often have a better chance at being "normal" (I hate using that term.....) because they have stability, nutrition, are being read to, homework is followed up on, etc, etc, etc. It is hard to tell.

That was the long answer (and I hope Ana forgives me for hijacking her thread). The short answer is "who knows?". I know that often this is why parents of children born addicted are reluctant to share that info...so as not to have an automatic assumption made about that child concerning intelligence and behaviour....

Here are some studies you can look at...
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=effects%20of%20meth%20on%20newborns&hl=en&lr=&oi=scholart

and

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=effects+of+alcohol+on+newborns

Sincerely,
a lurking mother that has been through all this before.........

Sorry for the threadjack and keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Mel said...

I stumbled onto your site and am impressed with your attitude and love for this child. I hope things work out for your family and little Z.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing about your new little girl. But just a thought for you- I had a 10 pound (at birth) baby get RSV at 3 weeks old and spend a couple of days in the hospital. Weight doesn't matter as much as age.

Enjoy baby Z!

Karen

alisonwonderland said...

you and baby Z are in our thoughts and prayers!

Anonymous said...

WOW !As I was reading your story, I couldn't believe how similar it is to mine!!! We too have a baby that came to us straight from the hospital at 10 days old. She was positive tox to cocaine. Her mother has two other children that she lost her rights to and they have been adopted. We also took her to church when she was about 15 days old. She was 8 lbs. We prayed over her and for her. Yes, the questions that some people come out with are somewhat irritating. We also prayed for the mother. Best of luck with baby Z- We are enjoying baby S to the fullest. We're selfishly keeping our fingers crossed that no other family comes forward and takes her. She's now two months old and so far growing well. Good Luck and God Bless.

prayed for her said...

our stories are similar so i thought id share it with you. let me start by telling you long before we started this proccess even before our little angel was born, we prayed that God would take charge of this for us. That he would'nt even send a baby into our home and family if that baby was'nt meant to stay with us forever! we were in this for adoption only, our hearts just can't handel loving them then letting go. our baby girl whose middle name is Faith came to us at two weeks old and was pos tox. her B/M had lost 4 other children already all were born pos tox as well. the courts did however give her a chance to clean up her act. our baby was born in FEB and by AUG the B/M lost visits and shortly after her parental rights. the courts labeled our baby fast track and her adoption was finalized one day after her first birthday GOD IS FAITHFULL!!!!! sure we had a few curve balls pitched our way but this blog is to long already! anyway my point is God always held us in the palm of his hands as he does with all who count on his faithfullness. Precious baby Z and your family are in my prayers GOD BLESS signed prayed for her.