Thursday, May 18, 2006

Status report on tutus and adoption plans, and a question

So since you (my loyal readers, haha) have been subjected to my crazy tutu idea for a while now, I thought I would give you an update.

Turns out the idea really was crazy.

Sold a few sets at the Fairy Shrimp Festival. Sold none on ebay. Selling a few to friends and family. Still have a good 20 tutus in a Rubbermaid storage container at home. I think I will try again around Halloween.

One big mistake, I think, was in my color choices. Peach and peacock-blue and daffodil-yellow are not little girls' favorite colors. They are my favorites, or at least my favorites for springtime. I totally, totally should have made more pale pink and lavender. Lesson learned.

So I have some money squirreled away toward my adoption plans, thanks to a hefty tax refund this year. (We finally used the last bit of our adoption tax credit from A's adoption in 2001.) $1000, to be exact -- G convinced me that maybe we should use some of that refund for other purposes, like reinstating the emergency fund we haven't had since 2003. Put aside in a separate account so we don't eat it up by mistake, something we tend to do with windfalls. My goal is to get to $2500 and then begin the homestudy. I have it in my head to do this by the end of the summer. Acres of Hope will take new applications again beginning September 1, so that seems doable. I think. If I can figure out how to manage my monthly budget, ever.

Okay, not gonna think about that right now.

Phase two is going to be a garage sale June 24. My kids are going to their grandma's house for the entire month of June and I am going to spend some serious time cleaning out the stuff we don't need or want from our home. I may add a bake sale that day, or something. I would also happy to accept donations of stuff to sell if anyone reading this is anywhere near central California. E-mail me for info at shawfam93@sbcglobal.net.

I am also mulling over the idea of a mail/email/PayPal campaign asking for donations. Do you think this is just in bad taste? Because here is the thing of it. If everybody I know sent me $2 or $5 or whatever to help me build my family, it would add up fast. If someone I knew asked me for a donation for that purpose, I would certainly give, at least a little bit. But is that just me? Would it be unimaginably tacky? I honestly want to know. Lay it on me, I'm not afraid of anybody's opinion.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think that having a donation fund for adoption is tacky or bad taste. As like any fundraising sort of thing, the choice is there for someone to hand over the cash for the cause. After all, if someone thinks it IS tacky, they won't donate - and the option is there for those who want to help!

Julie said...

Coming from an adoptive parent - put that paypal button up! Like you said, even $2 or $4 towards the cause really, really helps. Once upon a time, I might've thought it in "questionable taste", but now I've been there-done that, I say go for it.

Tandy said...

I don't think there's a problem with an adoption campaing at all! I would be happy to contribute. Good luck, Ana - I know you want this so badly!

Bek said...

Ana...I don't think it is a bad idea. People don't have to donate. I did the photo thing for charity and it turns out lots of people wanted to help just to help. :-)

I know some people have done that and done well. If you did a cute thing like "a child for the cost of.....a happy meal, a pair of socks, etc, etc. Especially if you pick things that an orphan will not have access to and then put it in those terms. It could work. Marketing is everything.

I heard Acres of Hope was waiting until the fall. There is a lady on the adoption tea time board that is waiting to apply then too. The laws are changing in Liberia...soon. It will be for the good of the children, but it might cause a few hiccups on the road. Right now Ethiopia is having growing pains too. It means more kids are finding families so how can I complain?

Good luck. I will donate! Also, I have TONS of garage sale type stuff, but don't know how to get it to you. Ask your ward for donations or even put an ad in the paper..you would be suprised how many people will help out.

SalGal said...

Banana, I need 6 tutus. What can we do about this? Can you make them? Plus, I have a hundred bucks that's waiting for you to set up that PayPal button. Get crackin' girl!

Essy said...

I think this is an awesome idea...it would allow those of us here in cyberspace to be a part of this journey. Like a cyber baby shower of sorts.

Allison said...

Aaaagh! I haven't checked in for a long time. Looks like it's been an eventful month. Sorry about your car, hope you're alright, congratulations on the new car, I personally love the yellow tutus best and would wear one myself if I could get away with it. I bet sales pick up around Halloween and Christmas.

Also, I think putting a paypal button up for an adoption fund is a great idea. Like Essy wrote, it feels kind of like an online baby shower. You may want to look into Google ads, or put an Amazon button on your blog wherein every time anyone who reads your blog is going to buy something from Amazon anyway, they use your button & you get a small amount. My husband's group blog does this, and I think they actually made a bit around Christmas time.