Thursday, May 11, 2006

Caramel for comfort (needs some help)

Calling all foodies! Check out this recipe. Straight from Betty Crocker, it's delicious but has a texture issue. I'm hoping to solve it because it is so easy and good other than that!

Caramel Sauce

2 egg yolks, beaten
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/4 c butter
1/2 c water
1 tsp vanilla

Heat all ingredients to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate any remaining sauce.

I got teeny, tiny bits of curdled egg yolk doing it this way. Not that it stopped me from eating this stuff. It makes an excellent fruit dip.

So should I do the thing where you cook the other ingredients, then stir them into the egg yolks in a separate bowl? It kind of diminishes the easy factor of this recipe. But it would be worth it.

Your thoughts?

3 comments:

Bek said...

Ana, I am sorry I didn't get back to you (yet another case of me THINKING I have done something but really haven't). I would LOVE to meet with you guys, but I am out of commission. We should do it again in the summer though. That would be fun. We want to come to Bonfante Gardens soon......

I loved the story about Kindergarten Round UP. We just had ours at school and I can't believe it has been one year since Lulu was there.......

How is Liberia going? How is the fundraising?

A Certain Englishman's Wife said...

Ana,

Hey! I just found your blog, I'm so glad. I added you as a link to mine.

Anyway, whenever I make something with cooked egg yolks here's what I do, I think the term is called "marrying" the ingredients.

I heat all the other ingredients, and then in a seperate bowl I whip up my egg yolks. Then I add about a cup or so of the hot ingredients TO the yolks (not the other way around) and then I stir immediately and really whip it up good. Then I add the "married" mixture to the remaining portion in the pot. I can usually then cook it for another 2 minutes or so without any curdling.

Good luck

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone for confirming my instincts! More caramel coming to my house soon, and you're all invited!

Heather, what a treat to see you ... where is your blog? Your Blogger profile doesn't link to it. You can post a link here or e-mail me at shawfam93 AT sbcglobal DOT net.

Mary, are you my sister Mary? You people are all so mysterious.