Thursday, May 11, 2006

Caramel for comfort (needs some help)

Calling all foodies! Check out this recipe. Straight from Betty Crocker, it's delicious but has a texture issue. I'm hoping to solve it because it is so easy and good other than that!

Caramel Sauce

2 egg yolks, beaten
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/4 c butter
1/2 c water
1 tsp vanilla

Heat all ingredients to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate any remaining sauce.

I got teeny, tiny bits of curdled egg yolk doing it this way. Not that it stopped me from eating this stuff. It makes an excellent fruit dip.

So should I do the thing where you cook the other ingredients, then stir them into the egg yolks in a separate bowl? It kind of diminishes the easy factor of this recipe. But it would be worth it.

Your thoughts?

5 comments:

Bek said...

Ana, I am sorry I didn't get back to you (yet another case of me THINKING I have done something but really haven't). I would LOVE to meet with you guys, but I am out of commission. We should do it again in the summer though. That would be fun. We want to come to Bonfante Gardens soon......

I loved the story about Kindergarten Round UP. We just had ours at school and I can't believe it has been one year since Lulu was there.......

How is Liberia going? How is the fundraising?

Mary said...

Anytime you heat egg yolks to boiling they will curdle unless ther is something like cornstarch present. But just like you thought, if you temper them in you should have no problem with curdling, and it will have an overall thicker consistency. So just heat everything else to boiling and GRADUALLY stir it into the egg yolks then gently heat until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
(There is a French word for "coats the back of a spoon," but I am never sure if it is an adjective or what so I don't really use it.) Good luck!

Heather said...

Ana,

Hey! I just found your blog, I'm so glad. I added you as a link to mine.

Anyway, whenever I make something with cooked egg yolks here's what I do, I think the term is called "marrying" the ingredients.

I heat all the other ingredients, and then in a seperate bowl I whip up my egg yolks. Then I add about a cup or so of the hot ingredients TO the yolks (not the other way around) and then I stir immediately and really whip it up good. Then I add the "married" mixture to the remaining portion in the pot. I can usually then cook it for another 2 minutes or so without any curdling.

Good luck

Ana said...

Thanks everyone for confirming my instincts! More caramel coming to my house soon, and you're all invited!

Heather, what a treat to see you ... where is your blog? Your Blogger profile doesn't link to it. You can post a link here or e-mail me at shawfam93 AT sbcglobal DOT net.

Mary, are you my sister Mary? You people are all so mysterious.

Mary said...

Of course I am.

I haven't heard of "marrying" ingredients but I think the correct term for what you are doing with egg yolks is "tempering".