Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Transitioning back to chaos

The recent experience I've had with my kids spending two weeks at Grandma's house has given me an interesting opportunity -- the opportunity to place my life with kids in sharp contrast to a life without kids.

When we became parents, we passed through a kind of veil -- the months of sleepless fog that happen when you have a newborn. Even before that, there were the years (in our case) of planning and wishing for a baby. Although we still felt shocked by some of our new realities when S came home, it was a pretty gentle transition, psychologically. Or maybe my memory is just obscured. That's totally possible.

In any case, my kids have been back home for a little more than two weeks now. We were able to maintain pretty good control for the first little while. The house stayed clean. We were on top of our discipline plan and our budget. We had built up enough goodwill at work (extra hours while the kids were gone) that we didn't feel bad about calling it quits for the day at 4:30 or so.

Not now.

My laundry is a mile high. I have no idea what I'm cooking for dinner tonight. The bathrooms are once again disgusting. Our budget meeting (DH and me) was suppsed to be July 1 and we haven't had it yet. There is a half-formed sand volcano in the back yard. The kids have rejected their bunk beds and started sleeping on their floor, creating the appearance of constant chaos in their room. I have bills to pay. I missed my workout yesterday because I was so extremely exhausted, even after a two hour nap Sunday afternoon.

Ah, back to my real life.

3 comments:

Bek said...

so it's not just me?

SalGal said...

You have budget meetings? Don't tell Brian!

Unknown said...

Bek, it is most definitely not just you.

Sally, we started the budget meetings when the kids were gone. It's painful but effective.