Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Hot fuss

Nope, not listening to The Killers today. Just fussing about the heat.

The forecast gives us 106 degrees on this July day. The grass is dying a slow, horrible burning death and the lake has probably evaporated by now. I could go check -- it is right next door, after all -- but it's too freaking hot to go outside.

I need to make a run to Target for mouthwash and cotton balls and blank CDs, but I think I would get heat stroke on the way. Do you know how miserable it is to get into a car if it has been sitting in an unshaded Central Valley parking lot all morning? Torture, I tell you.

Women around here are wearing progressively less fabric on their bodies as the summer wears on. I don't judge them the way I used to. If it wouldn't look so silly with my chosen underclothing I'd have myself in a halter top, too, chub and all.

I can't even go swimming tonight (we have nice friends with money and swimming pools, lucky us) because of other commitments. Wah!

The utility bill? It is going to be outrageous. I'm betting it's more than $300. I don't even freaking care. I cranked the air down to 71 degrees last night and slept the best I have slept in weeks. Ahhhhhhh.

Oh, and did you know I am going to a family reunion in August? In Southern Utah? Where it might be even hotter than the Central Valley? Yes, this is the vacation I get to look forward to. Next time I am going to insist we all meet in Monterey. I bet you money they would thank me for it.

I spent my teenage years in Alaska. Sometimes people ask me if I miss it. Usually I say no. I liked it, but I don't yearn to go back. California makes me happy. Except on days like today. Bring on the cool, clear mornings, the bike rides ruined by afternoon rains, the canoe rides under the midnight sun, the chilly camping trips by the icy river. I'd suffer through the isolation and the mosquitos and the (ahem) interesting characters you find up north, if I could just get the heck out of this heat.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I too spent my teenage years in Alaska, and I have been missing the summer there. Your last paragraph brings back memories...

It's been over 100* along the Wasatch Front for the past few days. (I guess most of the country is in this heat wave.)

Anonymous said...

southern utah! woot! Yeah august its gonna be hot! where is it? Its been about 111 here in ST George.

Unknown said...

Oh yes, Jules. Panguitch Lake, baby! The vacation destination of my dreams! I will be in touch!

Unknown said...

Heather, where in Alaska? I lived in Fairbanks from 1989-1992 and then in the summers of 93 and 94.

SalGal said...

Honey, are you on crank? Has the heat fried your last cell? WHY ARE YOU GOING TO PANGUITCH?!?!

Stay. Come to the beach with us. We're gonna pull the all-day thing we chatted about. Pick a Saturday, any Saturday (except the 26th, Sacto Temple tour that day) and we're there!

Unknown said...

Why am I going to Panguitch ... to see my parents and my siblings and my cousins. One of my uncles has two little girls whom I adore but haven't seen since the summer of 2000. So it is crazy, but we're gonna go. It is Aug. 10-13. Note the first weekend in Aug is still free ...

Unknown said...

I lived in Eagle River from 1991-1996 and summer 1997.