Monday, January 02, 2006

This should be no surprise

I'm having trouble focusing at work.

Here's a recipe. Or two. These originally came from Cooking Light magazine, which I read on a slightly delayed schedule by picking up my mom's old copies in stacks whenever I visit.

Mandarin Orange Chicken
1.5 lbs chicken breast tenders
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 c orange marmalade
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp corn starch
1 sm can mandarin oranges, drained
salt and pepper

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown in large skillet in olive oil over high heat, 4 minutes each side. Meanwhile, mix jam, juice, mustard and corn starch in a small bowl. When chicken is browned, pour jam mixture over. Reduce heat and cook 12-15 minutes more. Gently stir in oranges just before serving.

Almond Rice
4 c hot cooked rice (you know my favorite, Lundberg Farms short grain brown)
1 scallion/green onion, white and green parts, sliced thin (I'm East- and West-coast friendly)
1/4 c sliced almonds

Mix together before serving. Great with the chicken and a fresh green veggie like snow peas or broccoli on the side. Maybe a little soy sauce as well -- what can I say, I'm my father's daughter!

By the way, I bought some Chinese soy sauce. It was cheaper than La Choy or whatever. (A great advantage of living in a really diverse place is that the ethnic foods sections in the regualr supermarket are awesome! We get great Asian and Mexican ingredients at Albertson's or Food4Less.) Anyway this soy sauce is like syrup! Very dark and thick. Very tasty. Just don't use too much!

And barring any unforeseen events, I will do a book post next time I write. Two by Allende! Lots of fun!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have to give you some warning, this food is yummy, but since I had terrible heartburn both last night after dinner and this afternoon after eating the leftovers for lunch, there might be something wrong ...