Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Theories about Mosiah's childhood

What's the deal with King Benjamin? Was he around when his kids were little? I mean, what with the kingdom and the gardening and everything, did he even have a clue? I wonder what his wife thought when she heard him deliver his famous sermon.

Sometimes when people get old they forget what reality felt like when they were the parents. One time in Sunday School a lady in our ward was asked to talk about supporting her husband when he was serving in the Church. He was a stake president when they had eight children at home. She spoke about how she tried to keep the house orderly, peaceful and welcoming. Her husband, sitting by mine, leaned over and whispered, "It was never really like that." Haha ...

Or maybe Mosiah was an only child.

Seriously, does anyone -- anyone! -- have kids (plural) who don't fight with each other?

3 comments:

Tandy said...

I have no idea, but that was the scripture my mom would recite any time any of the kids argued when I was younger. It didn't take long before we were able to beat her to the punch - "We know, we know! Mosiah 4:14!"

The interesting thing is that I don't think that I have *ever* fought with my sister. I can't recall a single time that we had any sort of disagreement or fight. She's 10 years younger than me. My brother and I fought from the time I was 5 up until the time I moved out of the house, we're about 2 1/2 years apart. My sister and brother still fight, both of them live at home. My brother is 24 and my sister is 17.

Lisa M. said...

"Not, I" said the little red hen.

My children fight. They argue, they tease and typically it is really light hearted, but not always. Especially my 14 year old and my 16 year old. They are like oil and water.

As they get older, it get better.

I fought with my sister as youngster and a teen. As adults though, we have been good friends for the most part.

I think it is a normal thing to fight with your siblings. Its almost as though, we are learning tolerance for others, understanding different thought processes and trying to see things through different eyes. Its a hard process to learn. When in a family, you can't walk away from it. You can't just leave. You have to work it out, and you learn the hard lessons in life, early.

Does that make any sense?

What a blessing families are.

I constantly sing, "Love At Home" when there is bickering. Now my teens groan, and they know what it means...

Oh how I love watching them grow.

Allison said...

"Seriously, does anyone -- anyone! -- have kids (plural) who don't fight with each other?"

No.

Well, when my daughters were younger they didn't, but the more they are able to do the same things, the more they disagree about what to do. They're best friends, and always want to play together, and now they fight like best friends. Sigh.