Friday, December 23, 2005

Baking my butt off

Somehow I think that's not what happens when you eat these (butt coming off) much as I might wish for it. Hmm.

So it was my big night for baking Christmas treats tonight. I started around 4 and baked on and off until about 11:30. Whew! Here are some quick notes on the stuff I made:


  • Saltine toffee is super easy and good and rich and looks pretty impressive on the plate. I made a 1.5x batch, which goes a long way. The kids and husband ate a ton of it. There is still a ton.
  • The empty spot on the treat plate means that the pumpkin fudge has not set up yet. I hope that is not a bad sign. I don't know what I would do with a 9x13" pan full of pumpkin sludge. We'll see in the morning. I am holding out hope because the surface of the fudge still feels warm to the touch, so I am thinking as it cools it will harden more. I hope. I have never actually made fudge before tonight, though I love it a lot.
  • The turtle thumbprints are quite work intensive but so yummy. It is hard to do the caramel neatly. I didn't really succeed at that. You will see that I did not drizzle the chocolate. I do not like drizzling, so I was trying to do it with a pastry bag. That doesn't work too well, because the chocolate in the tip of the pastry bag cools pretty quickly. That's because metal is a good conductor. See, I'm a science writer, and I know this stuff. (Never mind that any seventh grader knows that.) So I just took off the tip and piped big kisses on top instead. I like it better. I mean, it's Christmas. Who wants a drizzle of chocolate when you can have a big fat kiss!? These are Kissy Turtle Thumbprints!

Something I have noticed about myself is that almost nothing is too rich for me. Other people eat like two bites of stuff like this and go, "Oh, it's so rich! I can't finish it!" And I'm like, "Pass it over here, girl!"

I think I am done baking. It is late and I am pooped.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Followup on the pumpkin fudge:

It set up partially in the fridge by the next morning. I went ahead and cut it. Then it set all the way up on the plates. So some of it was just funny shaped. But oh so tasty!

My friend K said our plate of treats was the best one she got! YES!!! Not that I'm competitive about this stuff, or anything.

Tammy said...

Pumpkin fudge sounds amazing! Post the recipe okay?

I also love "baking my butt off" for Christmas... Christmas Tree cookies, butter toffee, peanut brittle, peanut clusters, shortbread, caramel corn, caramels, Pupply chow, pecan tarts, butter tarts, cinnamon buns and all sorts of banana breads... I love it!

Now, I must exercise. Just thinking about it made me gain a couple pounds!!!

Unknown said...

Tammy the recipe is linked in an earlier post about being obsessed with baking. Go for it!