Sunday, October 29, 2006

"That kicked the butt of any other curry you've ever made"

That was G's reaction to tonight's dinner, which was Thai red curry. Made with purchased curry paste.

Make sure you cut all the veggies before you start cooking. Failing to do that is my usual mistake with stir-fries. I didn't make it today. Maybe that is why G loved it so much. Ha.

Well, it was good.

Thai Red Curry

1 chicken breast, sliced
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
1 tsp corn starch

1 tsp vegetable oil

1/2 yellow onion, cut in 1" dice
1 red or yellow bell pepper, cut in 1" dice
1 bunch broccoli, cut into small florets

2 tbsp purchased Thai red curry paste (mae ploy) (more if you like it spicy)
1 can coconut milk
About 1 tsp Thai fish sauce
About 2 tbsp basil chiffonade

Sprinkle vinegar over chicken, then corn starch. Stir to coat.

Stir fry chicken in oil over high heat until no longer pink. Remove from pan.

Add curry paste to pan. Stir until fragrant. Add half the coconut milk and stir until smooth. Add all vegetables and chicken. Stir until cooked tender-crisp.

Add remaining coconut milk and fish sauce. Heat through. Add basil and stir.

Serve over jasmine rice with regular Thai condiments - lime, peanuts, Sriracha.

1 comment:

Bek said...

I love curry. I am going to try this one....

I buy the Pataks when I go to England (they call it Ready Curry) and I JUST ran out. I either need to go back to England (my choice) or learn to make it from scratch.

Thank you!!!