Thursday, September 14, 2006

To market, to market


We hit the downtown merchants' festival tonight in search of figs. I think I missed them this year. Dang it, dang it. I did get some amazing tiny muscat grapes, white nectarines and about-to-burst red tomatoes. And strawberry and vanilla kettle corn. Yummy, yummy! Like, so amazing I better lay off the grapes or I will regret it, and you all know what I mean by that. I put the kettle corn away already. Really!

At the fruit stands I noticed a terrible smell. It was like the entire atmosphere reeked of stale tobacco. For awhile I thought I was just downwind of the goth teens. It took me a while to realize that beside me was a man with the fattest cigar I have ever seen. It was absolutely disgusting. Hey stogie men of the earth, I have a message for you. It's not cool, it's not sexy, it's not sophisticated, it doesn't smell good. Like, not at all. And I do not appreciate you poisoning the air my children breathe at a family venue like a farmer's market. Disgusting jerk.

After the market we went to the city open house. My kids got to shake hands with our African-American city councilman, who I could tell was kinda gung ho about being a role model. Well, that's cool, we need them. Then they got to pretend to drive the police car and motorcycles, check out the firemen's tools, get candy and trinkets from various city offices, blow giant bubbles and play on various bounce house type toys.

We came home and I put them to bed at a leisurely pace. (My new trick is playing nature sounds after I finish reading them Book of Mormon and the Magic Tree House. So very cheesy but I swear to you, they fall asleep faster.) Then I put the new Bob Dylan album on my Rhapsody. It's good stuff. It was a good night.

Except I can still smell that damned cigar. That's not swearing; when I say it I mean I really think it came from Satan's abode. I think I need to shower before bed.

2 comments:

SalGal said...

Ok, I am trying not to spazz out, but... Honey approached me on where we are financially so he can get ready to be thinking about moving to Merced!

I'M WINNING!!!!!!

p.s. I hate you for having a market like that and I found some gorgeous figs at TJ's. HA!

Selwyn said...

Yuck to cigar smoke!=P

Definately have a shower and wash your hair, and wash the clothes you went to market in BY THEMSELVES in the wash (otherwise the smell MAY go on other clothes.)

If you can still smell it (or think you can smell it) peel the skin off an orange as thinly as you can, and bend it so the little oil/juice bits in the skin pop and smell that. Even pop a little orange oil (from the orange!) just under your nose if it's really bugging you.

I think he needs education on HEALTH - eating from the market isn't going to help that much.....=)