Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Solitude

Today is my first alone day. The kids are at Grandma's. G is working in another town. Even my office mate has moved out. (We're hiring. Anybody want a job?)

Do you see me looking sad? No, I thought not. On the docket: pilates, baking, pedicure, girly movies, writing, fussing with houseplants, sleeping in the middle of the bed.

When I was a senior in high school I did a big paper about May Sarton. I found all these fascinating dichotomies in her novels, areas of life where we have needs that seem to oppose each other. Places where we have to work to find balance. One was something like sociality and solitude. I appreciated that need for solitude a lot, living as I did in a smallish house with my parents and five siblings. Solitude could be hard to come by. Noise was the norm. I often stayed up late, late at night to write and think, just for the quiet.

Celebrating solitude tonight. You're not invited, sorry.

No comments: