Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Here comes trouble

Here are the little troublemakers. Imagine if you will, that their slightly delusional parents have allowed them to come to Sunday afternoon choir practice, bringing with them their coloring books and a bag of colored pencils.

How many dirty looks can Mommy give? How many times can she get up and walk in front of the choir director to shush the crowd? Okay, there are only two of them. They only sound like a crowd. Finally Daddy exiles them to the primary room, only the little troublemaker doesn't want to go. Daddy tells the bigger troublemaker that he needs to set the example. So the bigger troublemaker grabs the littler troublemaker by the wrist and drags him screaming across the back of the chapel as the choir director urgently admonishes the choir to sing their testimonies.

After we finish singing for 90 minutes on the high G-flats of that crazy arrangement of "Praise to the Man" that MoTab sang in General Conference earlier this month (yes, I'm a first soprano, and yes, I was dizzy by the end of this) we discover a fun surprise: there was a pencil sharpener in that bag of colored pencils. And so there are pencil shavings all over the chapel.

I must have been insane even before this experience. I just didn't know it until afterwards.

But they're so cute.

And just so you know, when I was a choir director, I was darn strict about keeping the whole experience to 50 minutes, except for the Saturday before the Christmas program, when I made everybody breakfast to try to make up for the pain.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Imagine if you will, a woman that has done exactly what you presented. She now has two monsters, I mean children, who have gained an appreciation for music and know just how important it is to sing praises to their Father in Heaven. Granted, it may not show up for another 20 years, but it's there... ;-)

Unknown said...

Oh, you are so sweet!

They do love to sing. And what they lack in pitch, they make up for in volume. Sam does a fantastic key-of-M Pavarotti impression on "God Bless America."

Thank you for the encouragement! Really!

Island Queen said...

LOL@pencil shavings all over the chapel!

I don't think there is any of us who hasn't experienced that!! I did that with my son who was 4 or 5 at the time. And it just about killed me bringing him by myself to my young adult choir practices. But to this day he remembers the fun times he had with the choir members and can sing all the songs we sang. It's a cool trip down memory lane for me whenever he brings it up (he's 11 now). :-)