Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Another close approximation

So have I ever mentioned my enormous love and respect for Indian food? I think it is the most complex and interesting cuisine in the world. I look at the long lists of ingredients and spices and almost fall down on my knees. And eating it, that's even better.

Where I live we have a few good restaurants. Only a few. But one is Indian. Thank heavens.

Still, in my working-mom life I do not manage to get out to eat very often. I am morally opposed to fast food but still throw it in as a treat for the kids once every four to six weeks. And occasionally we do order some pizza. But the time it takes to actually call a sitter, pick her up, get the kids settled, and go out with my husband to eat a nice meal in a nice restaurant ... it just doesn't happen that much. Not to mention the fact that we are still surviving on 1.5 incomes in a very 2-income society. (Hats off to those who are managing on 1 income alone. It blows my mind. And it just plain blows to have to try to do it.)

So I have to try to satisfy my Indian food cravings on my own. My mom gave me a good little book called A Little Taste of India that has some simpler recipes I can actually manage. Here's one of them, with a few modifications from me.

Golden Egg Curry

1 c diced onions
1 tbsp butter, clarified if you're feeling ambitious
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1 15-0z can diced tomatoes (the book calls for fresh, but ...)
1/2 bag frozen green beans (I needed more vegetables and didn't want to cook another dish)
1 can coconut milk
6 hard boiled eggs

Saute onions in butter until translucent. Add garlic, turmeric and cayenne and stir for a minute. Add tomatoes and beans. Simmer very low until almost ready to serve. Add eggs and coconut milk just before serving. Heat through.

Serve with rice and cucumber raita (below). We also like to have some diced mango and some raisins with this dinner.

Cucumber raita

1 - 1.5 c full-fat yogurt or light sour cream
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 a fresh cucumber, chopped fine or grated coarse
pinch salt

Just like with the chili verde I am not trying to claim this is authentic. But it's pretty good as a substitute for a real evening out at Taste of Little India.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If we don't like hard boiled egg yolks, can we just use the white instead? And if so, can I chop them up so it looks like cheese so Brian will eat it? Ha ha ha...

Sounds lovely!

Unknown said...

Sure, you could just use the whites. I might have to report you for egg discrimination.

You could also use chopped up tofu, chicken, or turkey, or try it with just the veggies. I'm easy!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm going with the tofu. They'll think it's cheese again, ha ha ha...

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute, my mom just got me this great madras curry, can't I use that???

Unknown said...

You do what makes you happy, honey ... and let me know how it turns out so I can try it if it's good. OK? OK.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I've been a little neurotic lately. It's all because we had those dang carpets cleaned. Now I'm the clean-carpet nazi, always taking off people's heads if they even think about walking in there with shoes on, or eating, or even breathing too hard (ha ha ha). It must have carried over into my cooking personality!