Friday, October 14, 2005

Chili verde y amarillo

So I won a prize tonight. It was the ward chili cookoff. My distinction: SPICIEST! And I was the only girl in the game! (Apparently chili is something men cook. I didn't know this. But check me out! Hot mama!)

This will feed a crowd.

Chili verde y amarillo

2 yellow onions, diced
1-2 tbsp olive oil
4 largeish lean pork loin chops, about 1/2 inch thick
2 tbsp ground cumin
2 tbsp ground coriander
black pepper to taste
3 8-oz cans green chilies
3 8-oz cans salsa verde
2 cans beef broth
1 bag frozen yellow corn kernels
2 huge cans pinto beans -- they were probably 28 or 32 oz each but I can't check now!

light sour cream
lime wedges
cilantro

Cook onions in olive oil until translucent. Remove from pan. Brown pork chops. Add onions and other ingredients. Stir, cover, and simmer 2-3 hours. You could also do it in the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours. The chops should break apart easily with a wooden spoon when the chili is done.

Serve with sour cream, lime and cilantro.

I'm not saying this is chili verde autentico or anything, but it's how I like it. And it won a prize. Magnet clips. Ideal for displaying children's artwork on the fridge. I'm telling you, the ward activities committee really gets my life.

1 comment:

Lisa M. said...

YUM and good for you!

I think you're grand.

I'll have to check this out!