Monday, April 17, 2006

Pride goeth before a lost leg of lamb

Place: Ana's kitchen
Time: Easter Sunday, 12:30 p.m.

Ana picks up the phone and dials the local grocery.

STORE LADY: Save Mart Number 123, this is {unintelligible}.

ANA: Hi, I have a question. Well, this is a little unusual. Yesterday, I bought a leg of lamb at your store, and I can't find it. I think I may have left it in the cart in the parking lot.

STORE LADY: {silence, muffled laughter}

ANA: I just wanted to find out if there's a way I can see if I actually left it there.

STORE LADY: {still stifling laughter} Just bring in your receipt, ma'am, and we'll replace it for you.

I could not find the receipt. I looked in the garbage inside and outside, and in my purse, which is almost scarier than the garbage. I think the receipt may have been in the bag with the meat. Needless to say I did not go into the store and beg for a free leg of lamb with no proof that I had ever actually purchased one. With a receipt, no problem. But without, na-uh.

So that was $13 worth of meat, folks, and I had big plans for it. That's so much money for me! My circumstances generally require thrift, and I normally have a $2/pound rule for all meats except fish. This was the first time I have ever purchased lamb.

Now, I have lost many things before. Usually they are keys, wallets, cell phones, pretty normal things to lose. This is officially the first time I have ever lost a leg of lamb. I think it pretty much takes the cake. Maybe that's what I get for getting so cocky.

So that is how it came to pass that I humbled myself and made baked chicken breasts for Easter dinner. I still marinated them in orange juice and fresh thyme. But overall it was pretty disappointing.

3 comments:

Tandy said...

So sorry to hear that! I would be crushed! Although - I can beat that...the time I left the grocery store and forgot to get the cash that I had requested when they rang up my debit card. $40. Do you think I could find the receipt for that? Of course not.

SalGal said...

Well, it had to be better than the few leaves of spinach salad with a gallon of raspberry (NOT! more like BBQ sauce) dressing and BACOS, not the bacon pieces the menu cited, that I had at Perko's!

Lisa M. said...

Oh ya GOTTA hate that. I am so sorry.

I too have a 2.00 per pound limit. We live pretty thrifitly too.

I bet the chicken was good.

We had a very very borning ham.

I hate being disapointed, when I have been anticipating something.

*hugs* Can I send some chocolate? *grin*