Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Hazy shade of winter

We could see Salt Lake from Wendover. Not the lights, not the buildings -- the smog. Oh excuse me, the haze. That's what we call it here. It's inversion season. I went for a walk and had to borrow my sister's albuterol inhaler afterwards. And folks, I live in the Central Valley of California. It's not as if I'm actually accustomed to clean air.

It's good to be here. Most things are as predicted. Excellent food, D.I. shopping, family company.

And, three days into a week-long trip, I already know it will be good to be home.

At home, I don't have to think every day about the complexities of extended family. I don't have to wonder if this is the day I am going to explain to my kids what it means to be homosexual, as two of my brothers are. ("Uncle T doesn't do anything with us," complained Abe yesterday. "He doesn't even go to Church!"

On the bright side, my non-gay brother's fiancee is a delight. Wonderful with my kids and I think we will get along great. And until this moment when I actually am trying to do something that is not all about them, the boys have been behaving beautifully.

Guess I better go.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ana! Glad to hear you're having such a good time. We took the boys to "Chicken Little" on Saturday. My opinion? Eh. They, on the other hand, loved it. Today, Brian and I are getting out for SIX WHOLE HOURS!!! Going to see "Harry Potter" and lunch at the Olive Garden. Maybe even kill some time at B&N!
I hope the rest of the trip goes well, and here's to not having to explain the gay thing to the kiddies too soon!
Love,
Me

Anonymous said...

Are you back yet?? We need to get together!!

Unknown said...

Just got home ...

We'll talk!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.