Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My kind of prize

Looky here! It's a blog prize where the reward is making a list of 10 things I love. Is this perfect for me? Thanks to Angela, my Idaho twin at Dilettantish. She and I have the same birthday and the same roll recipe. Our husbands' names rhyme. And we love a lot of the same things, so I'll try to think of original ones. You all already know I love my family and Lord of the Rings, anyway. Fun stuff.

1. I love the moment when my four children are all safely tucked in bed, read to, kissed and hugged, told of my love for them, and I sign off mommy duty for the day. Good night!

2. I love sunshine on a fresh snowfall, when everything is so, so bright, and the dark, pine-covered mountains look misty gray under a brilliant blue sky. I didn't think I missed winter while I lived in California, and maybe I really didn't. But I am enjoying it now that I am here.

3. I love an honest three-year-old who uses her amazing verbal skills to say things like, "Your pants are falling down. Maybe you should wear a belt," or "You smell like eggs," or (while I am trying to take stickers off a new set of plastic tumblers from Dollar Tree) "Why do they make this so hard?"

4. I love the gas fireplace in my bedroom. It is rock and roll. It is a perfect cozy place for homeschool reading, a toe toaster for watching movies at night. And romantic, yes.

5. I love stretching to the tune of a Beethoven piano sonata after Total Body Fitness with Holly at the YMCA on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, then chatting with Jenny and Renee for a few minutes before I either hop on the elliptical or head home.

6. I love vegetables roasted in the oven with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli, peppers, sweet potatoes, zucchini, tomatoes. Piled on a baked potato for lunch or served beside whatever we are having for dinner. Yum, yum, yummy.

7. I love teaching my 5th grade, homeschooling son about the American Revolution and the Constitution. Frequently I get all teary. This has been a great experience!

8. I love music. I love my workout playlist, packed with Gnarls Barkley, Prince, Lenny Kravitz, Joss Stone, The Breeders, Jupiter One, OK Go, Los Lonely Boys, and more stuff. Sometimes I also listen to it when I am cooking dinner. Very motivational. I love the local radio station that plays mostly 1980s - from Tom Petty to the Cure and sometimes even Indigo Girls and Elvis Costello. Even when they play stuff I hated in the 80s, I kind of love it, and I know all the words. I love the flavor of public radio here in Montana - it has less of the NPR headquarters programming and more local music shows - a folk show, a classical show, a children's show, a whatever-music-they-want-to-play show. Where else would I hear new music from Peter Gabriel? I am super excited for the national Folk Festival here in town in July. If you want to come, you should stay with me.We will make it a massive house party and I will cook for you. Wouldn't it be fun?

9. I love a good children's book, picture-illustrated or otherwise. Having kids is a great excuse for reading this stuff. Just finished "The Name of This Book is Secret." Excellent, fun, super. I love the public library. I love how everyone is all quiet in the car on the way home, perusing their new reading materials. I love books on CD; they are my new outstanding trick for driving with kids in the car. We listened to "Redwall" and "Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull." Now we are working on "The Magician's Nephew."

10. I love my minivan (a 2002 Honda Odyssey). I love that there's enough room for four kids to sit without being on top of each other. I love how comfortable it is to drive. I love how easily it maneuvers into surprising spots. I love that it is shiny white with an Obama-Biden 2008 sticker. I love how the back seat folds down to accommodate my thrift-store furniture finds. A minivan is marvelous. And for the record, I was never someone who felt ambivalent about driving one. I was always cool with it.

So, clearly I have a lot of love, but not for tagging people. So if you like this consider yourself awarded with the "10 Things I Love" blog award. Otherwise, no big.

3 comments:

Angela said...

you made me hungry with your description of those delicious oven baked (or grilled) veggies..mmmm. Where in Montana did you move to?? I totally forgot about that! You aren't in Bozeman by chance?? A good friend of mine lives there.

Unknown said...

Butte. G's brother lives in Bozeman, though.

Braden Bell said...

I love that we both voted for different people in the last election and almost certainly will again--and that we both get teary when thinking or teaching our kids about the Revolution and the constitution. That is way, way cool, in my opinion.