Thursday, July 03, 2008

Another summer salad

Are you in the half of the alphabet that has to bring a salad to the big picnic tomorrow? I'm in the dessert half this year, so I'll be making pies tonight to take to the park by the river up the highway where we go every year to pig out on tri-tip, sweat a bunch, talk with our friends from church and watch the kids try to catch tadpoles. Lemon meringue - my specialty.

But I made this hearty salad last night and it was pretty awesome. You could take it to your picnic. I think it could even be a whole meal, although we had it with some grilled salmon and corn on the cob. Yes, on a weeknight! Sometimes I am ambitious!

I made this with the fresh horticultural beans that came in my CSA box from Willey Farms this week.



They are a cousin of the pinto bean and when you get them out of their their big yellow-green pods, they are beautifully striped cream and purple colors. Sadly, this color cooks out, but they are still a tasty change from canned legumes. You cook them in salted, boiling water about 15-20 minutes - just until tender.



Bean, tomato, cuke and basil salad

About 1 lb. cooked horticultural beans
1 pt. small tomatoes - I used little orange ones
1/2 small red onion, diced fine
1 small, thin-skinned cucumber, diced (yay for my little garden!)
About 1 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
About 2 tbsp. olive oil
About 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Throw it all in a big bowl. Mix it up. It makes about 4 big, hearty servings.

No comments: