Friday, November 24, 2006

Surprisingly okay

G and our neighbor/former bishop gave baby J a blessing and also me. A social worker and public health nurse took J about 5:15. It was hard; I cried plenty.

We did get a better explanation of the situation. When they went to detain big brother T Tuesday night, they investigated the grandma's house and determined that J could go there. So the sibs can stay together and stay with family. The mom was also moving in there. So that is where they all are now. I think the likelihood of his coming back to us is very very small.

We put all the baby stuff away. I dreamed about his soft hair and cheeks snuggled up next to me. And then I woke up feeling okay and cooked like a madwoman with my mom and sister. We had a delightful Thanksgiving dinner with my family and some Chinese friends from the university (it almost wouldn't be Thanksgiving for me without Chinese or Indian guests!) and a disabled guy from our ward. Everything came out perfectly. The food was great if I do say so, everybody talked. S got the whole crowd playing Uno Attack (persistent little stinker) and it turned out to be tons of fun.

J came here to open up some hearts -- G's and S's, mostly, I think. He was very good at his job. S sat and read J a book -- twice -- and urged me to "touch his ears, they're so soft!" G keeps showing me the pictures of J he took on his cell phone. I think he was surprised he could fall for a newborn like that. It's a good development. We're ready for what might come next.

4 comments:

Essy said...

so sorry this didn't turn out the way you (we all) had envisioned it. But looking beyond the situation and seeing the bigger picture is definitely the thing to do. This child was blessed to have you and your family's love, even for just a few hours...and I'm sure that you were all greatly blessed by the experience too.

Bek said...

I am sorry that you don't have that boy with you..... I hate how you were told that "reunification was unlikely" and that it was pretty much a sure thing. Had no one BEEN to grandmas before they went to go take the three year old away? Seriously. That makes it hard for you and them......

Anyway, we know it won't be too long before there is another baby post.... you are in our prayers and we hope all of you are well (and your boys are handling it well, too.......)

Tammy said...

((((((hugs)))) Ana.

Anonymous said...

I sure love you Ana!