Thursday, June 09, 2005

Tender mercy (humbled mama)

Adam had a post on Times and Seasons the other day about a "tender mercy of the Lord" he experienced. His thoughts have stuck with me through the last couple of days -- even my rotten day yesterday.

And then as I was putting the kids to bed something happened to me that made me think about it again.

DH was out visiting someone in the quorum. These are supposed to be half-hour visits but with my DH they always turn into whole-evening things. That's just how he is. The man can't shut up. I say that with a measure of respect; I think it makes him a good eqp and also a good scientist (collaboration is his strength!) Of course to be honest, I also miss him when he's talking to someone besides me and the kids, and so a touch of resentment is sometimes mixed with that respect. More so on days that are rotten already.

So I was putting the kids to bed alone, feeling a little resentful. We read the Book of Mormon aloud every night before bed. We're not over-ambitious; we shoot for ten verses a night. The rule is that the kids cannot talk unless they have a question about the reading. This actually prompts them to think of questions, because like their daddy, they do not like to be quiet.

Last night we actually read all of Alma 29, which is 17 verses. Sam's question: "What does repentance mean?"

I don't even know how to describe how immediately I felt humbled at the chance to explain this to my kids -- not just in the context of the scriptures but in the context of their own lives. Both of them made mistakes yesterday. Both of them felt bad. They needed to learn last night that God will forgive them as long as they are sorry for their mistakes and try to do better, and will love them no matter what. I need to be reminded of that.

Then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me.

Alma 29: 10

No comments: