Monday, October 18, 2010

Prompt

We are heavy on the Greeks this year in homeschool. We have the first volume of Joy Hakim's fabulous Story of Science. We have myths in our literature work using the D'Aulaires' gorgeous book, well remembered from my childhood. So, you know, why not bring it all the way around?

S is assigned this week to write his own Greek myth, his own hero's quest. I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

The prompt I wrote for him, I realized, makes a decent writing tool for grownup writers, too, because the elements of the quest get into the heart of conflict in such a simple way. That's hard for me. I can write characters with aplomb. Not to brag or anything. Writing conflict is whoa, hard. So, I thought I would share.


Who will be the main character? What is special about him or her?


What is his or her goal?


Who will help?


What will be the obstacles to the goal?

1.

2.

3.

How will they be overcome?

1.

2.

3.

What lesson is learned in the story?

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Even I want to come to school at your house! That sounds like so much fun. I can't wait to hear how the assignment turns out.

oh, and I saw the post of your two big kids pics too... OMGoodness...handsomeness, and how did they get so grown up??? I marvel often about the joys in our life, and how blessed we are.