Thursday, August 18, 2005

That's what it's all about

Do you work for something you're fully invested in, something you believe in with the deepest part of your heart? I'm so lucky; I do.

If you're not much for inspirational stories and me getting all mushy, you should stop here. But if you can handle it, you should read this story.

I've had the privilege, in the last few weeks, of starting to meet the incoming students of the first class at UC Merced. I randomly pick a kid -- excuse me, a young person -- to talk to, and inevitably I end up with an awesome story. Every one of these students is just amazing.

Some have immigrated with their families from Mexico or Thailand as refugees or farmworkers or both. Some have found their own talents in math, music, science, sports or other fields and risen to the top of their teenage potential, often in small, rural high schools without the advantages city kids find in their education systems. Some have capitalized on the amazing support of parents, foster parents or grandparents who believed in their abilities. Some have pushed on in spite of lacking that kind of support. Some have volunteered amazing amounts of time, building houses for Habitat for Humanity overseas or organizing a hot rod show to benefit tsunami victims.

They set their sights on becoming doctors, pharmacists, or mental health professionals, many of them, because they have an incredible urge to help others. Or on scientific research, because they have latched on to the value of knowledge and realized that learning makes a difference, not just for individuals but for whole societies.

Some of these students have literally walked through the valley of the shadow of death, jungles in Southeast Asia, pursued by Communists bent on punishing sympathizers with the United States. Now they come to the land Bountiful to pursue their dreams.

Godspeed to them. Rock on, founding class at UC Merced!

3 comments:

Lisa M. said...

I was the first one ever to finish high school in my family, as well as the first to go to college. When I first stepped on the grounds of Columbia University, I swear my body shook so hard I couldn't even move my feet.

Never have a been so grateful for such an avenue opened up to me.

Oh what a beautiful world.

Anonymous said...

How did you start getting spammed in the comments??

Unknown said...

Thanks Lisa!

Sal, I don't know how that spam came about. I need to figure out how to get rid of it. Right, in all my spare time. SIGH!