Sunday, August 07, 2005

Lime chiffon pie

I got thinking about my mom's summer desserts this week. Lime chiffon pie was always a favorite. I looked up a recipe in my trusty Farm Journal cookbook. My grandma always says, if you ever see a Farm Journal cookbook, buy it. They are always worth it. She is right. I have this one from the 1940s and then also a bread recipe book. Both have some funny midcentury food ideas but also some outstanding down-to-earth recipes. Plus the mini comments are always entertaining -- serving ideas, background information, a brag about a blue ribbon at a county fair.

The chiffon pie recipe I have in my Farm Journal book is actually for lemon chiffon. But same difference. I'm modifying the directions somewhat to make it clearer.

Lime Chiffon Pie

1 packet unflavored gelatine
1/4 c warm water

Combine and stir. Set aside.

4 egg yolks (reserve whites in metal or glass bowl)
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. lime juice
grated rind of 1 lime

Combine in top part of double boiler. Stir over boiling water until thickened to the consistency of pudding. Remove from heat. Stir in gelatine mixture until smooth. Refrigerate to cool while you complete the next step.

4 egg whites
1/4 c sugar

Beat until stiff peaks form.

Fold cooled gelatine and lime mixture into beaten egg whites. Spoon into graham cracker crust. Homemade is great but who are we kidding here, it's summer.

Chill at least one hour.

Now for the charming serving suggestion from Farm Journal:

Serve with frosted grapes. Dip small bunches of grapes (3-5 grapes in a bunch) in egg whites and then in granulated sugar. Refrigerate 1 hour.

No grapes in the house, dang it, or I would totally do it. Lime and grape is a yummy combination.

No comments: