Monday, August 15, 2005

Casserole epiphany

I've figured out the thing about Mormons and casseroles.

Yesterday I made this gorgeous summer Sunday dinner: barbecued chicken, corn on the cob, green salad with ripe tomatoes and cucumbers, hot oatmeal muffins, butter and honey, peanut butter pie. I'd been to the farmer's market on Saturday, you see, and it was alllllllllll about August. It was so tasty. It was ready at 6 PM, when my husband said he would return from fulfilling his church-related obligations.

When he arrived at 6:45 it was all cold.

See, if I'd made a nice chicken and rice casserole with (gulp) cream of mushroom soup, I could have turned the oven down and held it for him. But all that fresh-made stuff -- not so much.

Of course this didn't stop him from wolfing down two chicken breasts, four muffins, two ears of corn, a mountain of salad and two pieces of pie. Some people and their metabolisms are just unfair.

Anyway, I think that's why my mother's generation made casseroles. Maybe I can figure out how to make a casserole I would like. One with NO cream of anything soup.

2 comments:

Lisa M. said...

*Chuckle* Very good observation.

I always thought it was due to being able to have it ready prior to church and done when you got home!

*smile*

It sounds good, I would have loved such a feast!

Anonymous said...

You can make spaghetti pie without cream of anything. Of course, by the time you get it all ready to assemble, you should've just served spaghetti. I have a recipe for MORE casserole. I will email it to you. If anybody else wants it, it's going to cost you a visit to my blog with a request in the comments section! Ha ha ha...