Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Dress vote

You all did such an excellent job picking my hairstyle; I am calling on your wisdom once again!

Choose your favorite black dress for my brother's wedding September 30! Bear in mind, I am on the high end of the misses' sizing scale and need to distract as much attention as possible from the, ahem, tummy region. (In my case it might more accurately be called a gut.) I own a wrap dress that works surprisingly well for me, thus the inclusion of a couple of that variety. I am also intrigued by the kimono style, so you see a couple of incarnations below. But I can see how a timeless sheath dress would be useful for a long time and for many occasions.

I will not be wearing knee-high boots as I have calves made for holding down two-year-olds who don't want to brush their teeth. But I will get some good, new witchy black pumps.

On with the dresses.

Dress number one:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dress number two:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dress number three:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dress number four:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dress number five:
(I grabbed the charcoal one so you could see it better, but there is a black one)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dress number six:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dress number seven:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dress number eight:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dress number nine:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dress number ten:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Polls are open!

20 comments:

the princess said...

i like #7 and #10 ...

Denise said...

I like 7 and 10 as well. I also like 1 (the waist looks like it would be flattering), and 3 is a neat look, but if your gut is anything like mine, you need to be careful of tying things there. The wraparound kimono tie could actually leave nice places for lumps of belly roll to squeeze through. At least, that's what mine would do!

D

Unknown said...

#2 and #5 are my personal favorites!

Anonymous said...

I gotta go with 1 and 3. I find that the high waist is very nice for disguising my less than washboard abs!! And by the way, you'll look stunning in whatever you choose!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and by the way it's Amy from the AP board - I didn't sign in properly and came back as Ms. Anonymous!

Anonymous said...

I like #2 wrap dresses tend to be very flattering. I hope you'll post pic of the big day as well!

Anonymous said...

I like #10 best

Anonymous said...

Oh and I just wanted to add that, to me, it looks like dress number 3 hits the model at the fattest part of her calves and it makes her look shorter and "calfy" so I would either want a longer or a shorter length on that one.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so it didn't record my first comment?!!

I like #1 best for the way you describe your figure. I think the "flairs" on the sleeves will balance out any other imperfections. I like the V-neck, it's slenderizing and I like the varying heighth at the hem.

It seems as though you mentioned you like longer lengths better.

I do not like #3 because the hem hits the model right at the fattest part of her calf and makes her look "calfy"!! LOL

I know you will look FAB in whatever you choose!! :) Thanks for sharing. I love shopping for dresses!! And btw, I'm a fan of the wrap dress too...I think it looks great on almost any figure! I'm glad it's back in style.

I prefer classic looks because my wardrobe budget would be blown if I went with the trends that need to be replaced EVERY season!!

Kristine said...

Not looking at others comments yet...
4
10
7
In that order.
Good luck!

SalGal said...

I'm all over #2. I can totally see you in that dress, and you do not have a gut!

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

I like 7, 9 and 1. You DEFINATELY do not want to wear a dress that has a belt at the middle if you have tummy problems. You sound like your figure is alot like mine. The empire waist lines are better for that. Also you can buy those neat slips that hold everything in. Get one that goes all the way though and not just for the hip and tummy area. They sell them at Victorias secret for sure. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Ten

Bek said...

1 or 3

Bek said...

Sorry that was short...

They are all cute, but I really love one....

We have similar body types (and I love your descriptions of your calves. Even when I was skinny I couldn't do the high boots....I blame my peasent German ancestors...)

Where did you find the picture for 1 and 3? I need to go try those on...we also have a wedding.....

Unknown said...

1 is at Nordstrom.com, 3 is at jcpenney.com.

Cynthia said...

I vote for #1 or #10. Great flair at the leg and enough definition to either define or create the illusion of a better waistline. I find things that tie at the waist often hit at just the wrong place. Good luck choosing.

Anonymous said...

I vote for number 10! Very nice!

Allison said...

Dress #2 looks like it would be flattering, especially if you aren't tall. The kimono sleeves are cute on some of the other ones, but I strongly suspect that the added bulk of the sleeve, right at waist level, would only look like added bulk at the waist level.

Also, Spanx smoothing undergarments work wonders. The kind with the really high waist especially helps keep things lump-free from ribs to hips.

Unknown said...

Well, the actual numerical winner was dress number 10. But I ordered number 1. I was all upset last night because there were none left. But today I contacted Nordstrom.com's live chat customer service and they found me one. They rock!

Thanks for playing everybody!!