Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Enchiladas for veggie types

Ever since I made canneloni a couple of months ago, I've been thinking about enchiladas. This week I bought some corn tortillas and some green enchildada sauce, planning to make some of the chicken variety. Not the chicken and cream of chicken soup variety ... not really my style, and that's the nice way to say I hate cream of whatever.

Anyway I got to thinking today about the leftover grilled zucchini and sweet corn on the cob in my fridge, from my grilled kebab dinner spectacular with the missionaries on Sunday. They came from Montana and Wyoming. They'd never eaten kebabs before! I was so glad to remedy that. Pork sirloin, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, marinated in lemon and basil and cooked on charming little bamboo skewers ... accompanied by fresh sweet corn and french bread. Oh, and lemon meringue pie for dessert! It was great. All missionaries should be so well fed, don't you think? But I digress. And brag. I should quit.

From the remains of that dinner, I dreamed up this little lovely. I got home from work at 5:45 and we were around the table eating by 6:30, which is not too darn bad for a weeknight. Timely since there's a little vegetarian discussion going on at FMH. We're part-time veggies in our family. This works well. You get grilled pork kebabs AND delicious smoky cheesy enchiladas. The best of both worlds.

Zucchini and Corn Enchiladas with Green Sauce

About 1 c leftover grilled zucchini, diced
2 ears sweet corn, cut off the cob
1 yellow onion, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin or to taste
1/2 tsp oregano, or to taste
dash black pepper
1 c fat free cottage cheese (TRUST ME! Or you could use crumbled tofu, tempeh, or small beans, if you are a vegan. But the cottage cheese is good in there. Better than you think. Sure, some cotija would be great. It's just that I don't realy keep that around.)
12-14 small corn tortillas, room temperature or warmer
1 large can green enchilada sauce
1 c shredded monterey jack cheese

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Cover the bottom of a 9x13" baking pan with enchilada sauce.

Saute onion in olive oil over medium-high heat until translucent. If it starts to caramelize, so much the better! Add zucchini and corn. Stir in cumin, oregano and pepper. Remove from heat. Stir in cottage cheese.

Place about 2 tablespoons of your veggie-cheese mixture inside a tortilla. Roll tightly and place in baking pan. You might need to have someone help you hold it shut until it's surrounded by a few more rolls. Repeat with remaining tortillas until filling is gone.

Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas in pan. Cover with shredded cheese. Bake 20 minutes.

Salad on the side, a tall glass of ice water ... yum yum!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

6:30 isn't too darn bad, you are right. The funny thing is, when an "r" and an "n" are placed together to form a word, it greatly resembles and "m". And, though with just an "m" the word would be mispelled, as I was absently reading, I did not realize that fact. I was rather suprised to find that word, so of course I re-read. Then i realized the spelling mistake, and then the tiny white gap between the now evidently seperate little letters. I must say I was quite relieved. Now I know that this is probably very poorly written, but it is very late, and taking after our dear mother, I barely slept a wink last night. On that note, I love you!
~marta

Unknown said...

You need to get some sleep, missy. And I need to watch my language, dammit!