Monday, October 31, 2005

The holiday about nothing

I'm not a big Halloween fan, and it's not a secret among my grownup friends. It's a lot of work with no significant meaning or purpose. That's my general line of thought.

But for my kids, I play along. And you can see why! They are having so much fun, even if a real ninja would never ever forget to tie his sash.

And when I see a glimpse of this, I wonder, maybe it is worthwhile to have a holiday to celebrate pretending, imagination, things that are not real. That's an enchanting idea. And maybe that's what it's supposed to be all about.

So I am off to pick up the munchkins (and that will be an onomotopoeia tonight, I'm sure), decorate the car, pick up a couple of pizzas and head over to the Trunk or Treat.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, is it just me or does Sam look a bit like Whoopi Goldberg in that picture??

Unknown said...

HEEHEE! He looks funny because he has his top teeth over his lower lip (bucktoothed look) and yes you are right it is a little Whoopi-ish!