Thursday, May 05, 2011

Brain


S started neurofeedback training in March to help with his ADHD symptoms and some other issues. We’re doing everything we can to help him get ready to go to middle school this fall. It’s a little bit nerve wracking because, well, middle school sucks for most kids. And for a non-typical kid coming from a homeschool environment there will probably be even more challenges. But we feel like it’s time. The district has good professionals who are offering lots of support already. They can do things that truthfully I, untrained in education and child development, probably can’t do. Not to mention, I urgently need a break.

Anyway, neurofeedback. Two sessions each week. This means I have spent a lot of time in the waiting room. Reading more magazines than normal. 

Celebrities are not my hobby. I don’t consider myself a gossip hound, but stuck in a row of chairs with nothing to do and given the choice between People and Sports Illustrated, I will choose People every time. I’d never buy it myself, but it does pass the time while S trains his brain. 

Same with fluff women’s magazines – Good Housekeeping, Redbook, whatever. I am willingly and easily sucked right in. It is shocking how much I have read lately about ways to have your best body, dress fashionably, decorate my home, wear good makeup and emulate various celebrities.

This may explain why I dreamed about being Kate Middleton on a honeymoon in Alaska and being so thrilled and in love that I had to write all my grievances about social injustice on my hand in ballpoint pen so I would remember to tell my new husband about them instead of just swooning every time I saw him. Or about taking all my kids to see the Breeders in concert at a restaurant where we had great seats, but it turned out that there were a lot more sisters in the band these days, not just Kim and Kelly Deal. And they looked a lot more … Kardashian-like, a la the cover of the May 2011 Redbook.

I know you wanted that peek inside my brain today.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

You crack me up!!! I have to admit I do buy people, because I like to escape my reality sometimes and that allows me to read the stuff on Friday afternoons after we have finised a week of running, getting up early and doing homework. My wind down. I once dreamed that I was at an amusement park with Angelina and Brad and their kids. Laugh away!!! Just thought I would let you know you are not alone!!